COPD X Plan
The COPD-X Plan is the Australian and New Zealand online management guidelines for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It has been developed jointly by The Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand and the Lung Foundation. It is written as a decision support aid primarily for general practitioners and other primary health care clinicians managing people with established COPD. It is regularly updated as new evidence is published.
The guidelines aim to:
- effect changes in clinical practice based on sound evidence; and
- shift the emphasis from a predominant reliance on pharmacological treatment of COPD to a range of interventions which include patient education, self-management of exacerbations and pulmonary rehabilitation.
The key recommendations are summarised in the “COPDX Plan”:
C: Confirm diagnosis
O: Optimise function
P: Prevent deterioration
D: Develop support network and self-management plan
X: Manage eXacerbations
The COPD-X Plan is endorsed by the following professional bodies:
- The Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Royal College of Nursing
- Australian Physiotherapy Association
- Australian Asthma and Respiratory Educators Association
- The Asthma Foundation of New Zealand
This very useful resource contains the complete COPD-X Guidelines and is fully searchable.
Click here to visit the COPD-X website.
The COPD National Program receives unrestricted sponsorship towards the development of training and resources from the following companies: